Dang Duong Anh
6th Floor, HCO Building (Melia)
44B Ly Thuong Kiet Street
Tel: (84-24) 3934 8530
Dang Duong Anh (Mr.) has been a Partner at VILAF since 2004 and become Managing Partner of VILAF Hanoi since January 2015. To many clients and peers, Dang Duong Anh is one of the most reliable and result-oriented Vietnamese lawyers. Dang Duong Anh’s broad experience covers foreign direct investment, corporate and M&A, infrastructure & energy projects, project finance, tax, real estate and property, mining, automobile and telecommunications.
His highlighted transactions include advising Siam Cement Group in acquiring CSC and VCM, two giant group of cement production plants valued at US$440 million and, respectively, of Prime Group valued at US$240 million; advising Showa Aluminum Can Corporation in acquiring 90% share capital in Hanacans, valued at about US$110 million; advising J-Power in acquiring in and divesting later from Nhon Trach 2 Power Plant; advising Bao Minh Company and SCIC in selling entire equity capital in Bao Minh-CMG to Daiichi Life Insurance, advising Japfa Ltd. In its IPO and listing of shares in SGX valued at US$160 million; acting for Jetstar Pacific Airlines in purchasing 10 Airbus A320 aircraft from Airbus with a loan amount equal to US$118 million to finance the initial payments to Airbus prior to delivery; and assisting in leasing other aircraft transactions and other legal issues in Vietnam. Especially in Infrastructure and Project Finance, Duong Anh’s highlighted transactions in include Vinh Tan 1 BOT project which won “Project Finance Deal for Asia 2016” awarded by IFLR and ALB, Phu My 3 BOT power project, Kien Luong 1 BOO power project, Ban Phuc nickel mining financing project, Thu Duc BOT water project, Oxbow and Enron’s power plants and series of renewable projects in Vietnam invested by GE, IMPSA, NEXIF and Canadian Solar, etc.
Chambers and Partners commented him: “Clients rate him for his “substantial knowledge and experience of complex transactions,” which stems from his international background.” IFLR 1000 of the year 2012 commented: “Dang Duong Anh is held in high regard by peers and clients alike: “Partner Dang Duong Anh has knowledge and expertise in relation to the international practice in infrastructure projects,” says a client who “highly recommends” Dang Duong Anh.” Market sources described Dang Duong Anh as “very skilled and responsive” (Chambers & Partners 2017). Duong Anh is also thought by a client to be “hands-on. Constructive legal advice” (Asialaw 2019).
Recently, Dang Duong Anh has been awarded by IFLR 1000 as a Leading Lawyer for Financial & Corporate and for Energy & Infrastructure since 2014; a Leading Lawyer for Corporate/M&A by AsiaLaw since 2014 and by Legal 500 in 2018.
- Hanoi Law University, LL.B., 1995
- Fordham University (US), LL.M., 2005
- Corporate and M&A
- Private Equity
- Banking & Finance
- Capital Markets
- Infrastructure & Energy Projects
- Project Finance
- Real Estate and Construction
- Award of Fulbright Scholarship
- Award of Best Law Students from Ministry of Education and Training in 1993
- 7-year experience with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer before joining VILAF in 2003
VILAF also regularly advises many corporate clients on a wide range of corporate, commercial, joint venture and securities law matters, as well as in most sensitive corporate governance and legal risk management matters.
Our private equity practice includes all aspects of transactional work, including representing private equity funds in the purchase and sale of their portfolio assets, as well as representing companies as sellers of assets to private equity funds.
- Advised ANZ in the sale of its retail banking business in Vietnam to Shinhan Bank, involving 125,000 customer accounts with AUD$320 million in lending assets and AUD$800 million in deposits
- Advised BOC(HK) in the acquisition of the branch assets of Bank of China Ho Chi Minh City branch
- Advised VIB Bank in the acquisition of the branch assets of Commonwealth Bank of Australia in Vietnam
- Advised Credit Saison, a major Japanese credit finance company, in its acquisition of 49% of the equity interest in HD Finance
- Advised Shinsei Bank in the acquisition of joint venture equity interests in MCredit Finance
- Advised Shinhan Card in the acquisition of all equity interests in Prudential Finance Vietnam
- Advised Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam (BIDV) in the buyout of its 50% capital interest in VID Public Bank by Public Bank Berhad (Malaysia) amounting to US$62.5 million
Energy and Infrastructure
- Advised General Electric Corporation (GE) in relation to the acquisition of the French conglomerate, Alstom SA’s power and grid businesses in Vietnam, as part of GE’s larger worldwide acquisition of such Alstom SA’s power business
- Advised CPECC in its joint venture acquisition of Jaks Hai Duong BOT Power Project, a US$1.87 billion coal-fired power plant in Vietnam
- Advised SCG Chemicals in the acquisition of all equity interests from Qatar Petroleum International and PetroVietnam in US$5.7 billion Long Son Petrochemicals Project
- Advised ANA Holdings in the US$ 109 million acquisition of shares in Vietnam Airlines, Vietnam’s national flag carrier, as a strategic investor
- Advised Mitra Energy in a Reverse Takeover of Petra Petroleum pursuant to the TSX Venture Exchange Policy 5.2
- Advised MetroPac Water Investment Corporation (MPW) in the acquisition of 49% equity stake in Tuan Loc Group, one of the largest water supply system builders in Vietnam, which owns a number of water supply projects
- Advised a consortium including Chow Tai Fook, represented by VMS Investment, in acquiring a controlling equity interest in South Hoi An Project, which is a US$4 billion integrated project of casino, hotels, and residential units in Vietnam
- Advised Mondelez International in its US$370 million acquisition of the entire food business of listed company Kinh Do Corporation
- Advised JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation in the US$185 million acquisition of 8% on fully diluted basis of Vietnam National Petroleum Group (Petrolimex), which is the top petroleum import/export and retail brand name in Vietnam
- Advised Nguyen Kim in the sale of 49% equity stake in the chain of electronic retail stores of NTK New Solution and Technology Development Investment Joint Stock Co., to Thai retail conglomerate Central Group
- Advised Earth Chemical in the acquisition of all equity interests in A My Gia, a manufacturer of detergents and air refresheners
- Advised KKR in its acquisition of shares in the public company, Masan Consumer, in a chain of two transactions valued at US$350 million
- Advised UOB in the acquisition of shares in Masan Consumer
- Advised Warburg Pincus in the US$200 million joint venture with Becamex IDC to develop a logistic facilities platform in Vietnam
- Advised Creed Group in investing US$200 million in debt and equity instruments in a number of residential projects in Ho Chi Minh City
- Advised VinaCapital Hospitality Ltd. in the sale of shares in An Giang Plant Protection JSC to private equity funds in a US$58 million transaction
- Advised Siam Cement Group (SCG) in acquiring a controlling equity interest in Prime Group in a US$240 million M&A transaction
- Advised Nawaplastic Industry Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of SCG, in the acquisition of shares from SCIC in its divestment from listed company Binh Minh Plastic JSC, increasing Nawaplastic Industry Co., Ltd.’s holding from 19.89% to 50.12%
- Advised Showa Aluminum Can Corporation in acquiring 91.5% of the share capital, valued at about US$100 million, in Hanacans, an aluminum can manufacturer in Vietnam
- Advised TC Flexible Packaging Co, a subsidiary of Siam Cement Group (SCG), in relation to its acquisition of 80% shareholding in BATICO, a Vietnamese packaging manufacturing company in Vietnam
- Advised Shibusawa Warehouse, a Japan based company engaged in the operation of logistics and real estate business, in an acquisition of 35% shares in Vinafco Joint Stock Corporation
- Advised Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd., in an acquisition of 36.33% shares in MK Smart Joint Stock Company
- Advised Techcomdeveloper Projects Development JSC in the acquisition of a VND2,110 billion real estate project, which is part of the Nam An Khanh New Urban Zone Project of Song Da Urban and Industrial Zone Investment and Development JSC (SUDICO).
With more than 20 years of experience, VILAF continues to be one of the preeminent business law firms in Vietnam. VILAF is a full-serviced law firm, dedicating to many clients who have been working with us for many years, among Ford, Philip Morris, Bunge, Shell, BNP Paribas, Citibank, SMBC, SCB, ANZ, Mizuho, BTMU, SCG, Marubeni, etc.
With a team of senior lawyers who have worked with the Government in the development of Vietnamese business and investment laws for years, VILAF has the insights to the interpretation of the laws and policies. VILAF also has lawyers qualified to practice laws in other countries, including UK, US, Japan, Korea and the Philippines. Extensive international experience and in–depth knowledge of Vietnam’s political culture and legal development have put VILAF lawyers in the best position to advise clients on the laws and the practice of Vietnam and help them assessing risks and developing solutions. Our approach is client-focus and solution-oriented. We cut through complexity to provide clear and insightful answers.
VILAF has been consistently ranked as a 1st tier law firm by reputable legal directories such as Legal 500, Chambers and Partners, IFLR, ALB and AsiaLaw in all key legal practices including Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A, Energy & Infrastructure, Dispute Resolution, Real Property and Foreign Investment.
“Dang Duong Anh is well respected by market source and acts on a broad range of M&A and joint venture transactions. His focus includes deals in the real estate, projects, and finance sectors.”