Commerce & Finance Law Offices
6F NCI Tower, A12 Jianguomenwai Avenue
Chaoyang District, Beijing 100022
Catherine focuses her practice on merger and acquisition, private equity, foreign direct investment, hotel management, general corporate and compliance matters. Catherine has extensive experience advising Chinese and multinational companies on cross-border and domestic M&A transactions, joint ventures, group restructuring and spinning off of existing investments projects across a wide range of industries in China, including without limitation manufacturing, automotive, healthcare, education, real estate, TMT, and financial services, etc. She has served as the leading counsel for a number of high profile and complicated cross-border M&A transactions and was instrumental in their structuring, negotiations, and implementation. Her advice and assistance have covered every aspect of such projects, which include transaction structure design and advice, legal and compliance due diligence, transaction documentation drafting and negotiation, post-deal integration, mergers, divisions, liquidation, relocation, anti-trust filing as well as general corporate and commercial matters.
Catherine has a particular expertise with corporate, regulatory and compliance matters in the automotive industry. Catherine has represented auto OEMs, suppliers and other notable players in the automotive value chain on a wide variety of corporate M&A, cyber security, data protection, and telematics-related projects and compliance matters. Catherine often speaks on regulatory development in China’s auto industry at auto conferences and seminars and has written various articles in this area.
In addition, Catherine is an expert in the area of hotel management and has a particular expertise with the drafting and negotiation of management agreements and franchise agreements for hotels, resorts and serviced apartments, advising on the legal matters of leasing, acquisition, disposition and development of hotels, offices, and other mixed-use commercial real estate projects. Catherine has advised clients on many market leading transactions in this area including one of the largest resort investment projects in China Atlantis Resort Sanya, the development of a premier mixed-use commercial complex real estate project in Beijing, the largest hotel management transaction in China by the number of rooms, etc.
- TK Group in its proposed acquisition of PRC business of a Singapore listed company engaged in mold production;
- Beijing Goodwill Trading in its sale of Stuart Weitzman retail business to Tapestry Inc;
- A Global Fortune 500 Chinese conglomerate in its acquisition of a hotel in Switzerland;
- Taj Hotels Group in its acquisition of a hotel in Kunming and conversion of the same into a five-star luxury hotel;
- Tata Communications in its acquisition of certain equity interest of a Stated-owned value-added VPN telecommunication services company and the establishment of a joint venture;
- A German investment group in its acquisition of over ten companies in China in the areas of TMT and electronics manufacturing;
- A HK listed green company in its acquisition of two bio-gas power generation projects in China;
- A leading Japanese conglomerate in its acquisition of a minority stake in three Chinese colleges offering degree academic education;
- A US education group in its acquisition of wireless English education business from Nokia;
- A leading European luxury auto OEM in its acquisition of certain equity interest in a Chinese on-highway and off-highway engine manufacturing enterprise and the establishment of a joint venture;
- A UK conglomerate group in its acquisition of the assets and equity of two auto electronic products manufacturing companies in Shenzhen;
- Chindex in its consolidation of medical devices manufacturing business with Shanghai Fosun;
- A leading German pharmaceutical group in its post-deal integration restructuring of five PRC subsidiaries, which involves intra-group share transfer, liquidation, absorption merger, group restructuring by contribution of equity interest, etc;
- A leading Chinese real estate group in its restructuring of over 100 companies both in China and abroad for the purpose of separating its commercial real estate development business and property management business.
Since early 1993, C&F (in Chinese Tongshang) has been extensively involved in M&A transactions in China. C&F is widely recognised as one of the best Chinese law firms in the areas of Capital Markets and Corporate M&A. C&F’s M&A practice is one of the most active among PRC law firms.
Our M&A lawyers are regularly involved in large scale and complex domestic and cross-border public and private M&A transactions, including acquisitions of material assets, mergers, equity acquisitions, restructurings and establishment of joint ventures across a wide range of industries. We represent sellers, purchasers, targets and financial advisors in these transactions. Our clients include leading multinational companies, State-owned and private enterprises (both public and private), investment banks, venture capital funds, private equity funds and commercial banks. Besides documentation support, we also provide clients with a full range of transactional support and advice, including application for government approvals, merger control clearance, intellectual property issues, employment, litigation, and tax matters in connection with public and private equity and asset sales.
Our lawyers have been involved in some of the biggest and most complex public and private M&A deals in China, many of which have won the awards of the Best M&A Deal of the Year, the Best Private Equity Deal of the Year from leading legal publications and organizations. For example, C&F acted on the merger of China South Railway and China North Railway (winner of “PRC Deal of the Year” and “M&A Deal of the Year” from Asian Legal Business (“ALB”) 2016).
We currently have over 400 legal professionals in our firm. All of our attorneys graduated from top law schools in China and abroad. Many of them previously worked with leading international law firms and other professional organizations in other jurisdictions. We have utilized our individual legal experiences gained in China and abroad to build a legal practice that meets international standards and the high expectations of our Chinese and foreign clients. Our team includes lawyers who are fluent in English, Mandarin, Cantonese and other Chinese dialects, Japanese, as well as German and French. Most of our partners and associates have good command of English as a working language and have the ability to draft, negotiate, and translate Chinese and English legal documents on behalf of our clients on a daily basis. Faithfully adhering to the principles of professional integrity and excellence, we strive to provide our clients with pragmatic and cost-effective legal solutions that meet their best interests.
While our practice has diversified over the years, our core practice areas continue to be securities, investment, corporate merger and acquisition, banking and financing and dispute resolution.
“Offers advice on a range of M&A and corporate advisory matters, with a focus on inbound transactions. Its roster of clients includes a range of media entities and listed companies. Also adept at handling transactions with Hong Kong and overseas elements.”